Saturday, May 14, 2011

chivarly ain't dead (unless you just killed it)

We went to a concert in the sketch part of town...well, not exactly sketch...just the part of town that a single lady like myself doesn't want to be stumbling around in the darkness where who-knows-what awaits. And we met there because that was easier than trying to coordinate a pick-up and delivery.

After the concert was over...after we had sat for several hours in the darkness laughing and talking to one another in close quarters and sharing little touches here and there...we walked outside to leave. You were parked just on the side of the building in the bright white light of the fluorescents. I had to park out back. Out behind the bar. Out where there were no bright white fluorescent lights. Out in the darkness. Out where there are shadows and possibly shadowy characters.

And instead of walking me to my car, you hugged me quick like I was your least favorite cousin and got in your car before I'd even stepped onto the gravel lot. Left me standing there like I'd been in a hug-and-run incident and cranked your car while I shuffled through the darkness to my car. I thought maybe - just maybe that you'd be waiting at the exit to make sure I made it out safely, but when I rounded the corner, you were gone. Like you'd burnt rubber to get out of that lot fast enough.

That's the kind of shit boys do.